Pregnancy Expert Forum
short femur and humerus

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

short femur and humerus
i had a level 2 ultrasound, i am 24 weeks,  and the baby is low weight and the long bones are measuring small, about 2 weeks behind. they said to get a amnio so i did and the results are neg. so now i am very confused. why could her bones and weight be small. i am only 5'2 and my husband is 5'6  could that be anything, i am so scared but very happy she is safe from chromosome problems.

For one, the measurements taken are not always correct.  Also, there is a range of normal, but flags are raised when there are findings at the margins.  An example of this is that we worry about babies when they are less than the 10th or 5th %ile for growth.  However, we know--by definition--5-10% of normal babies will fall into that category.  

So, feel reassured the chromosome analysis was normal.  You and your husband are both of short stature, so no surprise the baby appears the same.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
My baby girl also has shorter femur about 1 week behind. But my doc told me that is genetic. I`m 5`3 and my husband is 5`7 and we both have short legs and long body. Also girls are smaller then boys.

I had my 20 weeks ultrasound about 2 weeks ago and the sonographer had found that my baby boy's femur was a bit shorter than its suppose to be the L.Femur was 29.0 mm and the R.Femur was 28.5 mm. I am not sure what that means or what the cause could be.
However she said everything else measured excellent and there where no other problems. She said is nothing major to worry about but i am still concerned and would like some information regarding this. They have booked me another scan at 24 weeks to see if my baby has grown any further. I would also like to know please what the average femur length during 20-24 weeks of pregnancy is.

A related discussion, Long bones are short was started.
A related discussion, Can a fetus with short humerus and femur not have abnormalities? was started.
A related discussion, 37th week fetus  with three weeks off from the rest of the measurement was started.
A related discussion, short femur questions**updated story was started.