Pregnancy Expert Forum
shortening cervical length

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

shortening cervical length

I'm currently at 34 weeks.  My daughter was born at 35 weeks.  Two weeks ago my cervical length was 48.  Yesterday it measured at 24 and showed signs up funneling.  What exactly does the shortened cervical length mean?  Does it show any indication of when I will go into labor?
That's a dramatic amount for it to be shortening.  It means that the one thing separating your baby from the outside world is thinning.  What does your dr. say?
I had the same probelm but it was caught much earlier onand I was able to have a cerclage put in to stop the funneling.
If I were you I wold get in bed and stay in bed until I went into labor.  You might be able to push it off a few weeks hopefully.
Good luck to you.

My doctor didn't say much, other than I've passed the crucial stage and that if I went into labor now, he wouldn't do anything to stop it.  However I called the nurse today to ask another question and she was very surprised to hear that I was at work.  She scheduled an appt for me to come back on Monday to check my progress and will determine if bed rest is needed.  All I know is that the pressure is increasing each day and its getting more uncomfortable.

Thanks for the response!
You're definitely passed th emmost dangerous part but there can still be issues if the baby is born before 40 weeks, not to mention the fact that due dates are sometimes off by as much as 2 weeks.  I woldn't wait for them to tell me to stay in bed, I would stay there with my feet elevated.
I had to remain in bed for 5 1/2 months for the same thing. It was torture but I delivered at 39 weeks.
Feel better.