Pregnancy Expert Forum
subchorionic hematoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

subchorionic hematoma

I am 6w 1d pregnant and started gushing blood 2 nights ago.  I went to my ob yesterday and had an ultrasound which much to my surprise showed a little baby in there with a heart beating away.  

Ultimately, I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma.  I am scared out of my mind.  I know this increases my chance of miscarriage but no one will tell me how much.  Does anyone have advice about this?  Anyone know someone with a successful pregnancy who had a subchorionic hematoma?  

The ultrasound technician seemed rather optimistic, but my doctor did not.  I am unsure of the size because at the time, I didn't realize that was important.  I go back a week from Monday for another ultrasound to check things out.  In the meantime, I am no longer gushing red blood.  Just spotting brown blood.  I assume that this is possibly going to help it resolve?  At least that is my hope!  Anyone have any insight?  

Thank you from one very worried mama.
I was told I had the same bleeding when I was 5 weeks. I had another sono at 6 weeks and told it was 1cm by 2cm. I am now 9 weeks and had a sono on thursday and was told it was 1cm by 1/2cm. It is resolving! The only difference is, is that I have had no bleeding though.
Most of the time, a subchorionic hemmorhage will resolve itself, usually by the 20 week u/s.  Obviously, the worst case scenario would be fetal death.  
My sister had one during her last pregnancy, and she delivered a perfectly healthy infant who is 9months old now.  

This can be fairly common.  It sounds like your dr. is following up w/another u/s which will allow an opportunity for you to get your questions together.  Good luck, I'm sure everything will be just fine.
I had one dx at 6 wks I didn't bleed red blood only brown. My dr said brown blood is ok cause it's old blood. I had to stay on bed rest until I was 19 wks. I'm 21 wks monday. Mine has resolved and no more bed rest. Did your dr prescribe bedrest? I would strongly recommend it. Also no sex or orgasms.
I had a subcorionic hemotoma -- started bleeding at 8 weeks and kept spotting on and off untill 21 weeks!  It was so nerve wracking, but I'd go in for ultrasounds regularly and the baby was always doing well.  (She is now turning one!)  I believe my s.h. was small (1 or 2 cm)  I know other people who have healthy babies who have had larger ones also.  
I started bleeding at 7 weeks, and thought it was over (after 2 prior miscarriages).  U/S showed that everything was fine.  Another U/S at 8 weeks showed the SCH.  I was put on pelvic rest (no exercise, intercourse or heavy lifting), but my Dr. was not too concerned.  Had some additional bleeding at 11 weeks, but again, the baby's heartbeat was fine.  I am now almost 13 weeks, just taking it one week at a time.  Mu 12-week U/S showed a beautiful baby with 10 fingers and 10 toes, bouncing all over the place.  The perinatologist saw the SCH, but did not make any big deal of it, so I am trying not to worry too much.  Any advice on how to get through this anxiety and worry?
I got diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma at 8 weeks. I've been put on bed rest for the last week and I'm scheduled for another u/s tomorrow. My doctor sends me very mixed signals regarding the possible outcomes, sometimes I feel she is optimistic but in the next minute she'll remind me that this has a high probability of ending in miscarriage,
I have had absolutely no bleeding or spotting (in fact it was during a routine us it was spotted). Is it worse NOT to bleed because the blood stays there or is it worse to actually bleed as so many of you report?
I wish all of you a healthy and happy pregnancy........
hi... a bit of hx... 2001 loss at 24 weeks due to PTL and possible IC... 2003... SCH at 11 weeks resoved in 1 week, PTL at 23 wks and 31 wks, lots bed rest and terbutaline, and have a 4 yr old healthy son... the second time (2003) I was watched like a hawk due to my previous loss, and during the weekly US funneling was observed at 4-16 week mark, and hence the bedrest.

Now, SCH at 6 weeks, 1 cm... one time a little red, but then for the past 2 weeks just brown, more in the morning and only when I wipe the rest of the days, but it's been peristant... also, on 25mg progesterone suppositories (level 10.4 at 6 weeks). TV US done at 6w4day and at 7wk and they both showed the SCH but a normal fetal pole and normal heartbeat. I am now 8w4days, and still the brown persists. My OB is recommending cerclage, and states due to my hx I have a 50/50 chance of carrying to term...

Doctor, what tests would you recommend before cerclage? Should funneling be observed again before cerclage or just do the procedure? PTL was definitive, as I seem to go into contractions around 20+ weeks, starting at about 1 every 15 min or so, but persistent, and terbutaline subsides them... I am scared of cerclage given that it could puncture anmiotic sack, PTL, infection and all the other risks... Thanking you in advance for your time...
Adriana
I am 7wks 1 day pregnant. Last week (Wednesday) I had a sudden gush of bright red blood while at work. I was sent straight to my OB, where they perofrmed an US. I just knew I was miscarrying. This being my worst fear, since we just had a son Dec.31 stillborn at 22 weeks. I couldn't see why we would have to go through another loss. My US showed that the baby's heart was beating, and everything looked fine. I am considered high-risk after losing our last son, so I had an appt today with my antenatal Dr. The did an US this morning which showed that I have a SCH. Of course they tell you how your chance of miscarriage increases. I am a nervous wreck. I keep reading about positive and negative outcomes. I wish I knew if there was something I could do to make sure I have a healthy full-term baby.
Shalyn
A related discussion, subchoronic hematoma was started.