Pregnancy Expert Forum
travel during pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

travel during pregnancy

can i travel long distance during seventh week of my pregnancy
Hi!
The concern about travel during the first trimester, is the risk of miscarriage.  It is important to be able to access good medical care in the event of heavy bleeding.
If the pregnancy is stable, and you are feeling well ( many people are pretty sick at 7 weeks) there should be no contraindication to traveling in most parts of the world.
Because you are pregnant, though, you are at higher risk for blood clotting due to prolonged sitting, so if you are traveling long distances, it is important to move around frequently.  Also, as above it is important to avoid any exposures that might be hazardous to the baby or your own health--such as hepatitis, malaria, cmv, etc.
and it is important to follow any dietary recommendations for the place that you are visiting.
Good luck!
Dr B
You can travel long distances until about your third trimester.  Then if you do most airlines require a note from the dr.

I would make sure that you aren't traveling to a place that requires all kinds of shots though.
I've heard no concerns about traveling most places in the first two trimesters.

When I was traveling out of the country at 7-10 weeks, my MD said it's important to make sure that there is good medical treatment in that country just in case (ie- we were looking at being in the jungle quite a ways away from medical care).  If you were to start bleeding/miscarrying or anything not good- it could be a health concern.

Also be careful about what you eat-  avoid undercooked foods just in case!