Pregnancy Expert Forum
when and what to pack for the hospital

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

when and what to pack for the hospital

I'm 31 and 3 days and I'm wondering what to pack and when or is it to early?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would say, if you have a spare bag and some spare things that you aren't going to miss for 6-7 weeks, it would be OK to start accumulating some things that you can't live without. I often start to pack and then go on for days thinking of things that I forgot.
Remember though, nowadays the hospital will have almost anything that you forget, and your husband or mom can bring things too.  Despite my best laid plans, I went in to deliver my daughter with only the clothes on my back.
Miraculously we did OK.  It is a lot of fun packing though, so enjoy!
Dr B
Its not to early pack 3 things something for u to come home in and the baby and pictures clothes
I brought a few extra pairs of panties too.  Those mesh ones they give you don't really hold the huge pad they give you in place.  They do have toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo and soap available.  Maybe want to bring some deodorant though and a brush.
Thanks for your help!
I'm 35 weeks and 5 days. I'm very nervous this is my first Child. I was wondering what should I Pack. Also I was wondering what's better epidural or no.  
Toilet paper. the hospital kind is awful. picture outfit for the baby and something to go home in. comfi pajamas for u and nursing bra if breasffeeding. camera and magazine and snacks for after. sleep mask.
Im 31+6 and my hospital bag is packed apart from the specific "perfect" outfit for my little angel. Im struggling with picking it as i dont know if she is going to fit in newborn or the 0-3 is she going to be big or small i dont know ... and this is worrying me more than anything xx
Make sure to pack whatever makes you feel beautiful whether its a brush, lip gloss or make up since everybody will be snapping pics... All the other comments got everything else lol
Do I take blankets for the baby to go home or the hospital will give me some?
I packed a very unrealistic bag in hindsight. Games, magazines etc. I had no time for any of them. I recommend plenty of pairs of knickers and pads. The hospital did provide some extra pads just incase
Pack like you're going on an overnight trip ( because essentially that's what you're doing).  Anything you would bring to stay at a hotel overnight, plus an outfit for baby.
I packed 3-4 pairs of clothes for myself and baby. Panties,Bra's,Socks,Slippers,Shampoo+Conditioner,Deodorant,Body Wash,Toothpaste+Toothbrush,towel, hair brush,phone charger, and a coat or jacket depending on weather.
The best most useful baby shower gift i got was a bag of mini everything toiletries. Mini deodorant, face wash, toothpaste & brush, mouth wash, relaxing lotion, mints.. just a few things for you! This is now what i do for all my friends when they have babies! Make them a mommy bag. The hospital shampoo *****, take mini bottles of your own stuff, it will make you feel more human & put together!  Take a hair dryer! The hospital is always cold & when you have wet hair even more so. Im due in Feb, will definitely be taking a hair dryer. You will have these pics for the rest of your life, so if you feel up to it while you're laying in bed & the baby is snoozing throw some eye shadow on! I agree the mesh underwear they give you are ridiculous! Take your own! You'll feel more comfortable. Also if you have a lot of leakage between feedings (assuming you're going to attempt to breast feed) i cut maxi pads in half & stuck them in my bra! Worked a lot better for me than the then little pads they gave me that were soaked in 5 min! Oh & chap stick! Anything that you keep next to your bed at night .. visine if you have contacts. Phone charger! An extra blanket your partner can take home & share with your animals with the baby's sent on it. I took my whole house practically so this could go on for days! Good luck!
Take a blanket or wrap for yr baby and a dark towel for you to use after you have the baby. Most hospitals have white towels. Slippers, im taking sum of my own baby shampoo and oils in his bag, nappies couple of outfits, nappys and a  cute hand made beanie.  
Change of clothes panties granny panties cuz it gets messy...toothbrush, shampoo and conditioner, body soap, maybe a robe, slippers or comfy socks, Babies outfits, diapers, wipes, baby blanket, those I think are the essentials anything else is just extra.
My hospital wouldn't let you take any of the baby linens home so you had to use your own outfit and blankets for leaving.
Yes you'll need a blanket...but more importantly, a car seat!  

With my first, I started to pack too early and probably put something in the bag each day.....by the time I delivered, I had a full suitcase! (Turns out, you really don't need that much.) LOL! I was glad I brought my nursing bras to wear under my hospital gown, an alarm with a sleep noise generator (if you have to share a room), a robe and slippers, and my own toothbrush (they give you one, but it is cheap). Oh, and clothes for you and baby to go home in (you won't be back in pre-prego clothes just yet).

As for the poster concerned about the newborn vs. 0-3 mo sizes , why not just bring both, their clothes are soooo small...!!!

Thank you!!! I'm only 21 weeks, but starting my list now and this was very, very helpful!!! Especially about using a liner pad cut in half for leakage!! Never thought of that lol! Also chap stick I didn't think of!
Hospitals here won't give you blankets. I've packed about four onsies, a couple of dummies, a pack of disposable nappies (hospitals here only have cloth) a spare bottle, baby powder and lotion (mini travel sizes) three wraps, wipes, babies coming home outfit, maternity bra, pads for the bra incase of leaking, can't think of the rest but feel free to pm me :) haven't really packed my own bag yet but it will have pjs and my dressing gown and lots of undies lol
The hospital won't give you any linens for your baby. Or mine didn't
Well I must go overboard I will be induced Thursday I packed me a gown robe slippers panties toothbrush toothpaste deodorant body was and shampoo of course allllll trial size a hair bow to pull my hair up and I pack the baby a bag coming home outfit pic outfit and cute outfits so he can where throughout the stay and his own blanket