Premature Babies Community
20 week baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to premature babies.

20 week baby

I was 20 weeks pregnant when I was rushed to the hospital because my water sack was showing.  It did not break, and it was not leaking.  The doctor checked me and said that I was fully dilated.  I was in the hospital, in labor for almost 24 hours before I had her. My contractions were about 30 minutes apart when I first arrived. I just want to know if they could have stopped my contractions, so I wouldn't have had to give birth so early.  I heard him say that he could, but he didn't.  I just need to know because I lost my little girl, and I just want to know if they could have done more to save her.  She struggled to breathe for almost 30 minutes.  She weighed 9.7 oz and was 9 1/2 inches long.  Could they have saved her even though she was so premature?  Could they have stopped my contractions?
Hi, first of all Im so sorry for your lost. I had a similar cituation about 4 years ago, but my baby was 18 weeks and I saw the sack when i went to the restroom and rushed to the hospital. Unfurtunalty there wasn't much the doctor could of done, at that stage the baby is not fully develop and will not survive. one thing i will tell you is that if she was around 23 weeks usually thats when doctors will try to do their best to help the baby, and then again i tell you this from my own experience. 2 years ago i had my baby boy and he was born at 23 wks and they were able to save him and it was hard to keep him going but he made it. One thing i can tell you to find out why this happen and if you have a risk of this happening again, i will recommend next time when u are ready to ask your doctor to place a cerclage, that will help your cervix to keep closed. Idk if that was ur case but you may want to ask your doctor.
My prayers are with you, just remember that now you have a lil angel always watching over you. God Bless you
I am so very sorry for ur loss!!!!!! *rip baby girl* did the hospital staff take any life saving measures to save ur baby AFTER she was born? Like oxygen, etc?
I am very dorry for your loss. I have had a premature baby and a late misscarriage as well, with my premature baby they were able to slow down my labor, but not stop it completely and I was only dialated to a 3 when I got there, they do have medications they could have given you to try and slow down or stop the labor, but since you were fully dialated there was pretty much no chance that they could have actually stopped or even slowed thigns down much, also being that dialated there even if they had been able to stop it you and the baby would have had a very high chance or very bad infection. some babies can make it at 22 or 23 weeks, but even then there are a lot of problems and a lot don't make it. If you get pregnant in the future though, since you will have this history there are steps that can be taken to help get you to full term or atleast farther along, I was put on medication to stop labor and bedrest with my 2nd baby, they can also stitch you cervics closed, ect. there is hope for your future babies!
I'm sorry I've lost two one at 19 and another at 20 weeks and no at that point there is no turning back.  It is contraindicated for a cerclage..  IT will get easier as time goes on but you will never forget your angel. I'm sure they are playing together in heaven now..    
so sorry. Before 24 weeks gestation the babys survival is close to 0. Some babies have survived at 23 weeks but no earlier. If you're dilated fully and contractions are getting closer together labor sometimes cannot be stopped :/ actually I don't think it can be at all since usually they won't stop it of you're dilated past 7cm. ;/ talk to a doctor though I may be wrong! Again I'm so sorry for your loss!
i was also 20 weeks along, me and my mom went for a routine ultrasound to find out if i was having a boy or girl, instead i found out my cervix was completely dilated. they called it incompetent cervix. i sat in the hospital for 3 days, nothing happened. my baby just kept bouncing around in her bubble, happy, healthy, and hyper. they sent me home saying i would go into labor at some point and we could do it at home.. NEVER let them tell you that, you will lay in bed never moving, just worrying about whats going to happen, its an emotional nightmare.. almost a week later, i began to bleed slightly, had no labor symptoms, was referred to providence prenatal specialists in beaverton, or.. big mistake.. they were very impersonal, explaining things like i came in for a common cold.. they said it was against medical policy to save my baby since she was only 20 weeks, told me i was already in labor, and did everything they could to compel me to give up and just let my baby go. about an hour later she just kind of came right out.. that was my happiest and saddest moments of my life in one. ive heard of options to help delay birth so there might be a chance of saving the baby, i was offered nothing but despair and defeat.. after having her, the dr wanted me to stay in the hospital, but i just wanted to be at home with my family. i refused to stay. this dr was terrible at her job and just downright evil, she threatened me with a mental health hold and wrote in huge letters on my discharge paper that failure to stay could result in serious infection that can lead to death, but ive since learned thats not true if you have a complete and 'normal' birth (as normal as it could be ya know). she also made my mom wheel me out to the front after i refused to stay. they did nothing but treat me with disrespect. while i know a 20 week old baby will probably have many problems, i think i may have been given options if i was rich and went to a better facility... but a baby that premature is something we have to learn to accept as a terrible loss. no one will try to save them, no matter how confident we are that they will survive. medical facilities are more concerned with things we dont think about. if you have a baby that early, there will be major medical problems, which means, assistance from state funded programs for lifelong care, money from disability, basically, one more mouth being fed by the system... you ever notice how people with state medical get less care and options than someone with private insurance? these people arent here to help us, theyre about money, not care. during my whole ordeal, the biggest problem i had was how people treated me. they werent nice or sensitive to my situation. they said things to me like this is for the best, or you didnt need this headache anyway, or make sure you get an appointment for birth control so this doesnt happen again.. rude uncaring people! we have to accept this situation when it happens. when this happened, i wanted my little girl to make it so bad, but at the same time, i had to realize that if i tried to save her at that point, i might do more harm than good. she wouldnt be normal, she wouldnt be happy. she would live a miserable and dependent life.. that is why i accepted it. because i didnt want to do that to her.. but it was the people around me that made it hard to deal with. if people are rude and insensitive to you, it will ruin everything. if they do messed up things to you, seek other care and file a grievance against these people. you will be miserable enough after with no help from others, so dont let them help you along the path of despair that will follow. remember who you are, because you might begin to forget afterward. you will never get over it, but there is a way through it somewhere.