Premature Babies Community
Ashton's trobles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to premature babies.

Ashton's trobles

My son Ashton was born 3 months early and has died over 12 times and come back he has chronic lung disease and pulmonary hypertention and he has had pnemonia (pneumonia) and parainfluenza and MRSA and he just recently had a clot in a vain in his heart due to his broviach tube in the right side of his heart and he had an edema back up now we have delt with edema before but this time it was from the chest up and the did an MRI on his brain because of the fluid build up and he now he has brain tissue missing and they dont know weather its from the fluid or if it was already gone so should i be expecting him to have developmental issues as he gets older or could that be common with his situation
Hello there ...
    I too had a child that was born early, approx. 27.6 weeks old when she was delivered by C-section. As with all premature babies, the very early ones, there is no way to really know what will come from being born so soon. I have met children that have had brain bleeds and came out of it perfectly fine. My daughter didn't have any significant problems other than needing to be weaned off the oxygen, which isn't always an easy process. Nevertheless, she ended up with mild cerebral palsy - most probably due to a lack of oxygen before they got her hooked up to the machines after delivery. I took her to physical therapy for years ... and she was in special education during most of her school years. What is important is that she is now a well adjusted young woman, I'm relieved to say.
    Every baby's circumstances are unique. There may be 'quesstimates' that the doctor may be able to make ... but they can't possibly be absolutely certain what problems (if any) your child may have. When I was in the hospital on complete bedrest, the doctors urged me to miscarry (by getting up and walking) rather than have a baby in my 6th month.  They advised me that I could have another "healthy" baby at some other time! I obviouslly ignored them and went with what my heart told me, which was to fight for that little life! I believe that all we can do is accept what comes but hope and pray for the best! You will not be far from my thoughts! Take care ....