Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Cholesterol Levels
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cholesterol Levels

I am a 57 year old male and I had my first cholesterol test in 4 years about 3 months ago. My cholesterol levels had gotten worse. I wanted to see how much I could improve my cholesterol levels so for the last 3 months I dramatically increase my exercising (aerobics and some weights), and greatly improved my eating habits by following a low fat, low cholesterol diet. I had my cholesterol checked after the 3 months and I had made a noticeable improvement: Total 193 to 148, HDL 36 to 45, LDL 112 to 88, TRIG 226 to 74. I was surprised by how big the improvement was for the TRIG. My questions are:
1) Can TRIG be too low (e.g., 50)? (the guidelines only says less than 150)  (2) Is there an ideal range for TRIG (e.g., 90 to 110)?  (3) Why was the TRIG improvement more dramatic compared to Total, HDL, LDL? (4) If I maintain my exercising/eating programs, as I get older, can I expect my levels to remain at the current levels?