Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Head

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Head
My dad has been experiencing fluid kind sensation in head after having cold and ear infection.  He got his ears cleaned by an ENT specialist but sometimes experiencing fluid like feeling around back of his head.  Please suggest any remedies.
Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your dad's discomfort. These types of questions are difficult to address through an online forum. However, my best thought is that your dad has pressure build up in his middle ear. The outer ear is part of the ear you can get to by a cotton swab and that your ENT can get to. The middle ear is part of the ear behind the ear drum. Pressure or fluid build up in there can cause pain and discomfort that we sometimes get when we fly or give a sensation or "fluid" like your dad is describing. If this is the case, using a saline (or salt) nasal spray and/or a decongestant can open up the Eustachian tube that connects the middle ear and nasal passages and de-pressurize the middle ear. Just a thought.