Iron Supplement- max dose
Hello, I am having issues with iron absorbtion, and I was instructed to increase my iron dose to 1,900 mg of Ferrous Sulfate.  Is this a safe amount of iron to take?  I am concerned this might cause overload.
Hi, thanks for your question. For patients with iron deficiency anemia a standard dose of iron sulfate is 325mg three times a day, or nearly 1 gram. In a 70kg person this equates to 14mg/kg. Reference books generally cite a maximum daily dose of iron of 15mg/kg. I have never prescribed higher dose of iron myself. It may well be that in your situation a dose of 1900 mg is safe and appropriate but without knowing your medical history and with little experience dosing iron at these levels I cannot say. The most common side effect of iron ingestion is constipation. There are other, more serious side effects of iron supplementation as well. I would recommend speaking with a doctor that knows your full medical history to help decide what is right for you.