Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Iron Supplement- max dose
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Iron Supplement- max dose

Hello, I am having issues with iron absorbtion, and I was instructed to increase my iron dose to 1,900 mg of Ferrous Sulfate.  Is this a safe amount of iron to take?  I am concerned this might cause overload.
Related Discussions
1351808_tn?1276904027
Hi, thanks for your question. For patients with iron deficiency anemia a standard dose of iron sulfate is 325mg three times a day, or nearly 1 gram. In a 70kg person this equates to 14mg/kg. Reference books generally cite a maximum daily dose of iron of 15mg/kg. I have never prescribed higher dose of iron myself. It may well be that in your situation a dose of 1900 mg is safe and appropriate but without knowing your medical history and with little experience dosing iron at these levels I cannot say. The most common side effect of iron ingestion is constipation. There are other, more serious side effects of iron supplementation as well. I would recommend speaking with a doctor that knows your full medical history to help decide what is right for you.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979