Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Ketogenic Diet?

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Ketogenic Diet?

My nephew has epilepsy and has seizures all the time.  Not too long ago,  I saw a program about the Mayo Clinic having some tremendous results with reducing (and even eliminating) seizures by putting children on a particular diet.  I want to say it was called a "Ketogenic Diet" but I'm not certain.  Have you heard anything about this study & the results of this diet?  Also - please let me know if there is any other information that might be helpful for my nephew.

Thank you.
Jack
Hi Jack, Thanks for your question. The topic is out of my area of interest or specialization. However, it is well known that the ketogenic diet is helpful for certain types of seizures in children. The ketogenic diet is essentially a more strict form of the Atkin's or low-carb diets. It is classically a 4-part-fat to one-part-protein and carbohydrate diet. It is not a diet without side effects (including dehydration) and works in certain types of seizures more than others. But in the right person it has been shown to reduce seizures. I would recommend that you or your nephew's parents speak to a specialist to find out whether this diet is right for him. Sometimes patients are admitted to the hospital when the diet is started for closer monitoring, so I strongly recommend against implementing any of these changes on your own without direct physician guidance. Hope that helps.

- Dr. Nundy