Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Low Absolute Lymphocyte
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low Absolute Lymphocyte

Absolute Lymphocyte tested low 1.2 (range 1.5-3.5)- what does this mean?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
1351808_tn?1276904027
Hi, thanks for your question. The answer is that it depends on the context.

If your blood levels were checked as part of a "routine office visit," then I wouldn't make much of this. In fact, to go on a bit of a tangent, lab results like this are the very reason why I am a strong advocate of evidence based preventive health care. There is no good evidence to suggest getting white blood cell counts and lymphocyte counts in healthy patients. When these tests are ordered for "routine" purposes, sometimes abnormal test results are detected, which puts doctors and patients in an uncomfortable position about how to act on the information. It also causes a great deal of unnecessary anxiety. In this case, your lymphocytes (the cells of the body that help fight infection) are just outside the lower limit of normal. This could simply be laboratory error, or suggest that your normal is different than most people's normal, or could suggest a medical problem. In the absence of any symptoms, I would not worry too much and may advocate for repeating the test in 3-6 months. (Unnecessary testing often leads to more unnecessary testing.)

If the test instead was done for a medical reason, then I suggest you follow up with your doctor. In the right context, this may be an important finding, but more often I find that these blood tests are done in healthy people without a clear medical indication.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979