Low Absolute Lymphocyte
Absolute Lymphocyte tested low 1.2 (range 1.5-3.5)- what does this mean?
Hi, thanks for your question. The answer is that it depends on the context.

If your blood levels were checked as part of a "routine office visit," then I wouldn't make much of this. In fact, to go on a bit of a tangent, lab results like this are the very reason why I am a strong advocate of evidence based preventive health care. There is no good evidence to suggest getting white blood cell counts and lymphocyte counts in healthy patients. When these tests are ordered for "routine" purposes, sometimes abnormal test results are detected, which puts doctors and patients in an uncomfortable position about how to act on the information. It also causes a great deal of unnecessary anxiety. In this case, your lymphocytes (the cells of the body that help fight infection) are just outside the lower limit of normal. This could simply be laboratory error, or suggest that your normal is different than most people's normal, or could suggest a medical problem. In the absence of any symptoms, I would not worry too much and may advocate for repeating the test in 3-6 months. (Unnecessary testing often leads to more unnecessary testing.)

If the test instead was done for a medical reason, then I suggest you follow up with your doctor. In the right context, this may be an important finding, but more often I find that these blood tests are done in healthy people without a clear medical indication.