Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
Low Triglycerides Level
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low Triglycerides Level

Hello

Recently I took a blood test and everything looks OK, except with my triglycerides level. My triglycerides were in 23.88 mg/dl, that is low, my colesterol is fine 131.9 mg/dl.

I whant to start a diet to loss around 8 lb, Do I have to worry about not lowering more my triglycerides or I don't have to worry about it? I'm pretending to make a healthy balanced diet, by reducing my calories intake.

Thank you
Related Discussions
1351808_tn?1276904027
Hi, thanks for your question. It's a good one though I don't have a great answer for you. Cholesterol has generally been vilified by doctors and the media. The general mantra has been "the lower the better." This has been best studied with LDL (or "bad") cholesterol where benefits to heart disease seems to increase with lower levels of LDL, seemingly without adverse consequences. But clearly cholesterol plays some healthful role in the body, though the optimum level (not too high, not too low) is not known.

Given the limitations of our understanding of triglycerides, I would not worry too much about the impact of dieting on your triglyceride levels. The benefits of a healthful diet extend well beyond changes to cholesterol levels. It may be prudent to re-check your cholesterol levels 3-4 months after starting your new eating habits but I would not let this necessarily guide the choices you make.

Good luck!
Dr. Nundy
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...