Low Triglycerides Level
Hello

Recently I took a blood test and everything looks OK, except with my triglycerides level. My triglycerides were in 23.88 mg/dl, that is low, my colesterol is fine 131.9 mg/dl.

I whant to start a diet to loss around 8 lb, Do I have to worry about not lowering more my triglycerides or I don't have to worry about it? I'm pretending to make a healthy balanced diet, by reducing my calories intake.

Thank you
Hi, thanks for your question. It's a good one though I don't have a great answer for you. Cholesterol has generally been vilified by doctors and the media. The general mantra has been "the lower the better." This has been best studied with LDL (or "bad") cholesterol where benefits to heart disease seems to increase with lower levels of LDL, seemingly without adverse consequences. But clearly cholesterol plays some healthful role in the body, though the optimum level (not too high, not too low) is not known.

Given the limitations of our understanding of triglycerides, I would not worry too much about the impact of dieting on your triglyceride levels. The benefits of a healthful diet extend well beyond changes to cholesterol levels. It may be prudent to re-check your cholesterol levels 3-4 months after starting your new eating habits but I would not let this necessarily guide the choices you make.

Good luck!
Dr. Nundy