lack of initiative
I have been treated very well for years of  being Bipolar.  My long-standing problem with it is lack of initiative, and I just can't get interested in doing anything, especially important things, like my bookkeeping, housework, etc..  How can I correct this?  I am not allowed any stimulants like Dexedrine, as I have a heart problem, now.  Dexedrine used to help me get started on projects and any work I needed to do, but now I can't use that.  Any ideas of what I could do?  I am still trying to do 2009 bookkeeping!!
Thanks for your question. To some degree, the problem you are having is one that all of us share. I don't like bookkeeping or housework either! While this can be troublesome, I would be more concerned if you weren't interested in doing things that you would normally find enjoyable -- such as watching your favorite movies or biking if that it an important hobby of yours. That being said, in someone like you, I would be concerned that your symptoms were a sign of your bipolar not being well-controlled enough, or alternatively, that they are a side effect of the medications you are taking to treat your condition. Either way I would discuss this with your doctor. If your condition is under good control, he or she may agree to decrease the dose of your medications while keeping a close eye on your overall mental health.

- Dr. Nundy