Preventive Medicine Expert Forum
ringworm
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered are Primary Care Vaccinations, Infectious Disease Prevention, Cancer Screening, Cancer Prevention, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Heart Disease Prevention, Health Screening (includes non-cancer and non-cardiovascular diseases such as osteoporosis), Preventive Medicines, Healthy Living / Health and Wellness, Weight Loss, Healthy Eating, Pregnancy & Birth Control, Childhood Preventive Care, Tobacco & Alcohol Counseling, Primary Care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ringworm

I saw online that bleach was a household remedy for ringworm... are there any risks for repeated application of bleach to your skin?
Related Discussions
1351808_tn?1276904027
Thanks for your question. There are risks involved with using bleach though I'm not sure how to quantify them. It would make sense that these risks increase with the number of repeated applications, strength of the bleach being used, etc. More importantly, there are excellent medications for the treatment of ringworm. Typically I treat ringworm (which is really a fungus) with a topical antifungal creme. Because it is on the skin, the relative absorption into the body is low, making it a safe medication. It is also cheap. As important as treatment is prevention of another infection. Here is an article I found online about it:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/ringworm-of-the-skin-topic-overview?page=2

Sometimes I do prefer home remedies to medical ones. However, when the home remedy has potential side effects, and the medical treatment is effective, safe, and inexpensive, I go with the medical remedy.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Nundy
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...