Prostate Cancer Community
70 and ready

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

70 and ready

I am 70, in good health and sexually active.  I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer (1 of 12 biopsy clips).  It is stage T1, PSA is 2.8 and Gleason is 6.  I'm trying to determine the best course of action and all I can find is that "its up to me".  The options I'm considering are laparoscopic prostatectomy (da Vinci) and brachytherapy.  Are there any statistics for/against either or personal experiences available that might help in the decision?
I would say that you probably will die of other causes cause it's a slow growing cancer.  If you go ahead impotence it's the most likely outcome.  
If I were you it's not worthy to treat it.
Hello...I am sorry that I can not offer any solutions to you on this matter but I feel that you need to become armed with information before you make your decision. Which by posting here you may gain some insight.  My husband will be having the robotic surgery soon so at this point I am not much help, but wanted to tell you of a couple of websites that others have pointed us to that have been very helpful...yananow.net and phoenix5.org.

I hope that others that have more knowledge will answer to your post.  For my husband, he wanted it out of his body the quickest way possible, therefore his decision was easy. He did not want radiation and has been told by his surgeon that this was a wise choice...as it is best to operate and then if you have to follow with radiation or other forms of treatment. For some reason, it is risky for any surgeries after radiation therapy.

I wish you well in your journey and pray you will find the guidance you need to help you make your decision.