Prostate Cancer Community
Atypical Biopsy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Atypical Biopsy

My physical showed a PSA reading of 5, so I had a prostate biopsy. My urologist said the results were good. 11 sample were clear, the 12th was atypical. He wants another biopsy in 6 months. There's not a lot of information around on "atypical" but it doesn't  "good" to me. A follow up biopsy seems to find cancer 40 to 60% of the time. Any insights?
Related Discussions
Hi,

I understand the frustration of getting equivocal findings after invasive testing, but you are not really alone in this. There are some findings that a subsequent or a concurrent cancer can be found indeed when there is a report of atypical findings (the figures may be around what you estimate, there are reports that it may reach as much as 60% of cases, the difficulty with any particular report is that it is usually based on a few patients only. A review on the subject listed several studies with samples ranging from 30 to 300 men, and the average value seems to be 40%), and the advice that a repeat biopsy is a reasonable step to take.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Prostate Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank