Prostate Cancer Community
Bleeding after prostatectomy. How much is too much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

I had a laproscopic prostatectomy done two weeks ago and am now trying to remain at least minimally active around the house during this recovery period.  "Minimally active" simply means not lying in bed or on the couch all day.  Certainly no strenuous activity or even lifting anything above 10 pounds.  I have a catheter in, it being a necessary nuisance, and last week the doctor told me he was going to leave it in for an additional week.  Thats because the radiology exam done immediately prior to that appointment showed a small leak.  OK, fine, I can deal with that.  I did tell the doctor about the diminishing bleeding I was having in my urine and the increasing bleeding or leakage that is occurring. He said not to worry about it.

So, here it is a week later and the amount and frequency of bleeding hasn't lessened at all.  If I get up from a sitting position there is the ever-present bloody leaking from around the catheter.  Bowel movements generate a copious amount of the same regardless of any lack of straining during that activity.  During that activity blood always shows up in the catheter tube, too, although, generally but not always, it runs clear during other times.

In two days I have an appointment to have the catheter removed.  Yeah!  But surely the bleeding will continue.  What to do?  Shrug my shoulders knowing that eventually all will be well?  Your thoughts, experience and comments are appreciated.  Thanks.
Hi there!

It may take a few weeks for the bleeding to lessen and stop after such a procedure. As long as the bleeding isn’t much i.e. not frank ‘and’ continuous, it should not be anything to worry about.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!