Prostate Cancer Community
Blood in semen and stool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Blood in semen and stool

I'm a 36 year old male. Five weeks ago (2/15/09), I experienced blood in my semen. I researched it on the internet and it seems it's usually due to an infection or any number or things. However, it's rarely serious. I monitored my urine and feces and didn't see any blood. I ejaculated three days later (2/18/09) and there wasn't any visible blood. Three days ago it happened again (3/22/09 -five weeks between blood in ejaculate). This morning (3/24/09) I noticed a small amount of bright red blood in my stool. I just checked my ejaculate and it's clear again. I have not had any blood in my urine during these symptoms.  

I've researched colon and prostate cancer and couldn't find that either cause both blood in stool and in semen. I plan to see a doctor but am scared as I don't want to go through a bunch of unnecessary tests. It  seems that prostate cancer is hard to detect in early stages and doctors may prescribe treatments that cause more damage than good. Should I have my PSA levels checked and have a colonoscopy? I recently started lifting weights again and I'm lifting four days a week. Could this be a cause? What are the likely causes of my symptoms? Prostate or colon cancer?

FYI - I am experiencing no other symptoms. No pain, no constipation, no trouble urinating, no symptoms other than blood in semen twice and in stool once.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my post.