Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Catheterization

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Catheterization
Should catheterization be administered ONLY by the oncologist or any experienced nurse can do it with no possibility of adding risk to the procedure?
Please clarify your question. Thank you.

-AKT
My father, who has advanced metastatic prostate cancer, needs to have a catheter due to his inability urinate on a regular basis. He is under hospice care at home. Someone told me that a nurse (from the hospice) should not be administering this procedure because there is a risk that the bladder may be punctured since it is being pressed on by the prostate. I should instead call for the oncologist or any medical doctor to do the procedure. Is this correct? Thank you.
Insertion of a Foley catheter is an essential medical skill. Physicians and nurses should be trained in this skill. Like all medical procedures, there are risks for complications. The most common risks associated with catheterization are related to the urethra (infection and trauma). If you have concerns about inserting the catheter, it is best to raise this issue with the physician managing your father's care.

Sincerely,

AKT