Cortical Cyst in left kidney and mild enlarged prostate gland
My father is 53 year old. Recently he had done Ultra-sonography of whole abdomen. In his report it is written that:

1. Kidney: Both kidneys are normal in shape, size & outline. Renal parenchyma & central echocomplex of both kidneys are normal except left kidney shows a cortical cyst of diameter 2.4 cm
Right kidney measures : 9 cm
Left kidney measures: 9.5 cm
Ureters are not dilated

2. Urinary Bladder: It is normal in shape. Walls are smooth and regular. Lumen is clear. Post voiding sonogram shows approx 120 ml. of residual urine.

3. Prostate Gland: Prostate gland shows heterogeneous echotexture with regular margin.
It measures : 3.7*3.7*3.1 cm
Approx prostate weight 22.5 grams.

So, we are very much tensed for this type of report. Is there any big problem in his report? Mainly we are fearing for cyst in left kidney. So is there any point to be worry about that? Is it curable or have to do surgery? One vital question which comes to our mind is it a symptom for kidney failure or any type of cancer?
Hi there!

It is difficult to comment on the nature of the cyst based on size alone or an ultrasound report. He may need further investigations such as a CT or biopsy to determine the nature of the cyst. I would suggest consulting a nephrologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!