Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
End of Days

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

End of Days

I am new to this site, but thought I'd give it a try. My father is dying of Prostate cancer and is in Hospice as we speak. I am wondering, what the later stages of life would entail? I know that is hard to prognose as you would have to evaluate him and also there sometimes is no definite similar symptoms from one person to the next. But it has come to my understanding that last week he has had blood in his stool, and now is coughing up blood(my guess is from vessel inflamation (inflammation)). Wondering if you might have any resources that I can resource or anything at all.
He is in Arizona and I am living here in seattle.
thanks,
J
Haemoptysis (coughing up of blood) and, hematochezia (blood per rectum) are signs of distal metastasis. This would mean that your father is now a stage 4 (T4) prostate cancer (PCa) patient. Prognosis at this stage is directly related to the extent of cancer in the involved organs and is variable from patient to patient. From the picture you described it might be that the lungs and colon are invaded by PCa. It might be that he has brain involvement as well.

Reading:

"Wein: Campbell-Walsh Urology, 9th ed. Volume 3 :MODELS TO PREDICT LOCAL
VERSUS SYSTEMIC RECURRENCE AND TO PREDICT FOR SURVIVAL > Risk of
Disease-Specific and All-Cause Risk of Death"

Thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Ash Tewari, MD

http://www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.