Erectile dysfunction after radical prostatectomy (ca)
tmv
A friend's husband had a radical prostatectomy 15 years ago and the penile nerve was severed. Therefore, he has not been able to get an erection at all. They have tried the suction aided device (sorry, I don't recall the name of it). She is scared for him to try Viagra(he's 64). Is there anything else that they can try and would viagra be effective since the nerve was cut?

Erectile dysfunction is a known complication of radical prostatectomy and recovery depends on many factors including age of the patient, sexual function before surgery and the degree to which the nerves for erection were spared during surgery.

Treatment options  include medications such as viagra/cialis/levitra, intracavernosal injections( injection of medication into the penis), suction devices and penile implant surgery.

The decision as to which of these which of these will  benefit a given patient will require a thorough patient history and evaluation by a male sexual function expert.

This answer is not intended and does not substitute for medical advice- the information is for patient education only.

tmv
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I'll give her the info and suggest seeing a specialist.  Have a great night.