Prostate Cancer Community
Green light laser vs. T.U.R.P.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Green light laser vs. T.U.R.P.

Would having prostate cancer (early detection very small  doing watchful waiting) prevent me from having the Green light laser therapy to help my enlarged prostate? Would the T.U.R.P. surgery be the treatment of choice?
I am 69 years old, have had the cancer for three years doing annual biopsies (none of the biopsies have shown cancer) and checking PSA twice a year.
Thanks.

The current treatment for prostate cancer is a radical prostatectomy either open or laparoscopic. The TURP is indicated for BPH, not for cancer. The same can be said for the green light. If you are having problems due to the size of the prostate, then perhaps you should reconsider your plan to watch and wait. Discuss the problem with your doctor and come to an acceptable plan. Stay positive.
Hi, I had the laser for enlarged prostate 4 years and 10 months ago. I started a little bleeding after 3 months. The bleeding and sometimes with as large as quarter size blood clots passing in urine. I was checked by the laser dr. that performed the laser on me with his scope inside my prostate and bladder and only saw a very faint spot where he felt he could cauterize the veins. but I moved and now two other urologist say they cant identify where the exact veins are but just that one said it must be the prostate bleeding from time to time. I have had four biopsies over the last 20 years and last one was 4 years and 11 months ago. I think my bleeding could also be started at times from my not being able to make a bowel movement without a lot of straining. Also it seems at some times over exertion of lifting has possibly played into the bleeding at times. I feel that if I can keep my stools soft and without straining and cut down on my straining when even doing lighter exercise I might eliminate many of the bleeding episodes. I mostly bleed about every 2-3 months at some time in that range and it stops usually the same day or next urination. Please advise in any way if you can what I might be able to do. Thanks very much!