Prostate Cancer Community
Intermittant Cassodex Treatment
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Intermittant Cassodex Treatment

I have had PC for 10 years.  Had a RP and Radiation 9 years ago.  It has taken 8 years for my PSA to rise to 4.2.  My doctor has me on a Cassodex only, 50mg,  regime and in 2 months it has reduced my PSA from 4.2 0.27.

I have a friend who takes only Cassodex when his PSA gets to 5, then stops 3 month later when his PSA gets below 1.0.  It usually it takes 2 years to climb back to 5.0.

Has anyone else tried this?  The side effects on Cassodex are not nearly as bad as Lupron, but I seem to have less energy and sore nipples.

Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

The efficacy of casodex and lupron is comparable and both may be used in cases of suspected recurrence as part of hormonal therapy. The preference of one over another could be made on the side effect profile. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating urologist/ oncologist.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you Doctor:

Yes - the reason we decided on Cassodex without lupron was the side effects are minimal - except sore nipples - after 2 1/2 months on the drug.  My PSA results are great from 4.2 to 0.27.

My specific question was has anyone done intermittant Cassodex therapy- 4 months on - stay off until PSA rises to 4 again?

Thank you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Prostate Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank