Intermittant Cassodex Treatment
I have had PC for 10 years.  Had a RP and Radiation 9 years ago.  It has taken 8 years for my PSA to rise to 4.2.  My doctor has me on a Cassodex only, 50mg,  regime and in 2 months it has reduced my PSA from 4.2 0.27.

I have a friend who takes only Cassodex when his PSA gets to 5, then stops 3 month later when his PSA gets below 1.0.  It usually it takes 2 years to climb back to 5.0.

Has anyone else tried this?  The side effects on Cassodex are not nearly as bad as Lupron, but I seem to have less energy and sore nipples.

Doe anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Hi there!

The efficacy of casodex and lupron is comparable and both may be used in cases of suspected recurrence as part of hormonal therapy. The preference of one over another could be made on the side effect profile. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating urologist/ oncologist.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you Doctor:

Yes - the reason we decided on Cassodex without lupron was the side effects are minimal - except sore nipples - after 2 1/2 months on the drug.  My PSA results are great from 4.2 to 0.27.

My specific question was has anyone done intermittant Cassodex therapy- 4 months on - stay off until PSA rises to 4 again?

Thank you.