Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Lower Back & Hip Pain after Prostate Cancer

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

My husband was 48 years old and diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008. He opted for the robotic surgery and was told that all cancer cells were contained in the prostate and that they got it all. He didn't have to undergo radiation or chemo.

My husband has now come to me and told me that he has been in pain since the surgery or should I say a few weeks after the surgery in his lower back/hip area. There is a lump and it is very painful when I touch it. He is now having a hard time sleeping on that side as well. His doctor has scheduled him for a MRI to see if the prostate cancer spread to the spine. Also, for the past 2 years now his PSA level has been .1 and not 0 but he has been told that it's okay/normal for some men.

I am confused as the oncology dr said that the cancer was confined to the prostate. Could this be cancer causing this pain?
Thank you for your question. Diagnostic evaluation of the prostate after the organ is removed determines the grade of prostate cancer. Organ confined disease, is just that, there is no evidence that the cancerous lesion, or lesions, have invaded the prostatic capsule and the cancer is thought to be contained within the prostate.

In addressing your question, bone micrometastasis could be have been present during treatment of the primary tumor. However, bone pain and a positive bone scan indicating disease spread are often preceded by a  rise in PSA. Imaging studies (bone scan and MRI) and continued PSA testing are warranted.

Thanks again for your question.

Ashutosh (Ash) K. Tewari, MD
www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.