Prostate Cancer Community
Not expected pain after da vinci prostectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

I am 56 years old and have been in pain every day since my robotic surgery on 1-8-07. I anticipated, from what I heard & read, the recovery of the robotic surgery was going to be relatively easy. Much to my dismay, I have been in pain everyday since surgery, from pain & spasms in my penis, hemorrhoids, cold sweats, etc. The one I question is the burning, aching in the head of my penis. It seems to be worse when I lay down, when I walk around the pain seems to subside. Is this pain due to me having the catheter in for 14 days or could this be caused from something other? Also, my stream of urine has been very weak, although it shows some sign of improvement. I'm going into my 4th week since surgery. It has been no walk in the park. I only wish that someone would tell the truth on the recovery for this type of surgery. Please set the record straight on real recovery time and side effects on prostate robotic surgery and answer to above question.
I'm sorry you seem to be having a difficult time.

The estimates for recovery are faster when compared with open procedures/prostatectomies (whether robotics vs scopes is better - the verdict is still out), unfortunately these are based on general experiences. Of course, there might be cases like yourself who represent experiences outside the averages.

It may be best to discuss your experiences with your doctor. You may need better medications for pain.
Sorry to hear about your pain. Hang in there. I, too had severe pains for about 6 weeks after robotic surgery on Nov 13/07. The uro could not figure out the cause and prescribed a strong painkiller until they finally subsided sometime around Christmas. My pains were mainly in the tummy and kidney areas.
Good Luck.
My husband had Robotic Prostate Surgery Dec. 11 2008.  The catheter was removed 7 days later.  He has had sever pain in the mid  part of his penis ever since.  Two weeks ago the DR. scoped the urethra and bladder to see what was going on.  They said that 1/3 of the area put back together did not heal yet.  He has been on percacet and a pill to numb the area until it heals.  He still has pain he says it is like needles picking him and a piece of glass in his mid penis.  He only gets releif when he lays down.  It is now more then 2 months since the surgery and no releif in sight even with the pain meds and numbing pills.  Any ideas if this will ever stop and what he can do to stop the pain.