Prostate Cancer Community
PSA .01

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

PSA .01

I am almost 5 years post radical prostatectomy. I just had a physical exam and my internist reported that I have a PSA reading of .01. My urologist has been reporting my PSA on every 3 month and then 6 month exam as -0-. Does a .01 reading signify that there are still prostate cells, possibly cancerous, in me or is it insignnificant. I remember reading that PSA is sometimes described as -0- or non-detectable in persons who are cancer free but never .01.

The goal of the prostatectomy indeed is to target an undetectable PSA after the procedure.
Your current PSA of .01 does not pose any clear threat, but it is worth monitoring. The PSA should be monitored and the pattern of how rapidly it is rising would be estimated. Based on the rapidity, your doctor would discuss options of further treatment if a relapse is imminent.
I understand the anxiety that comes with monitoring, that nagging feeling that you may feel you are doing nothing. Initiating treatment at the current time however, would not likely impact on improving your quality of life or overall survival. Also, with such small values - success of treatment may be difficult to measure.
An alternative approach is to perform multiple scans to seerch for the disease - this will likely all turn out negative and won't really help in deciding therapy options. Of course, the situation changes if you have any symptoms that may be worth investigating with scans.
Discuss your concerns with your doctor and come up with an acceptable plan.
Subsequent to my .01 report, I was told by my urologist and internist that the difference in one reading to another could or would be the say the assay is rated. Apparently, some labs will report .01 because it is the smallest report they will make and the other will take the same sample and report it as 0. is what I am understaning. Does this make any sense to you?
Yes, that is also a distinct possibility. The testing may have a defined lower limit that automatically assigns a lower limit in the report. Hence, a true value of 0.0005 will be reported as 0.01 if such is the protocol, although a better report would be <0.01. Another lab may report the 0.02.  
I just had  my blood check to see my  psa level. It was .08. I feel that my vas deferen is clogged.There' knot there;slight annoying pain around. It more tissue than bone.
Does that  mean my mea cancer is back?
sometime I feel a slight fever but goes away quickly. There is a  high degree of warm  around my tecticle and vas deferen.

Please advise.