Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
PSA after Prostate Removal

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

PSA after Prostate Removal

My husband had his prostate removed in March of 09.  His first post surgery PSA was 0 and his most recent PSA was .3.  What does this suggest?
Thank you for your question. Your husband had radical prostatectomy about 5-6 months ago. Some questions to ask that would be relevant to your inquiry are 1) what was the final pathological stage and Gleason grading of the tumor 2) what was his PSA prior to the surgery 3) where there any positive surgical margins (tumor at the inked margin) reported on final surgical pathology?

The definition of biochemical recurrence is generally between 0.2 - 0.4 ng/mL.

The decision for a course of action after this single PSA test will be dependent on the answers to the questions above. For example, if your husband's final surgical pathology showed a Gleason 3+3, T2a (tumor confined to one lobe, less than 50%, negative surgical margin), laboratory contamination may come into play.

A followup schedule should be discussed with your urologist and possibly a medical oncologist.

Best,

Ash K. Tewari, MD

www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.
Did he receive radiation post-op?  After a course of radiation, possible Lupron (hormone) therapy?  Been receiving monthly PSA  and Testosterone labs.  PSA over .01 means more Lupron for my husband.   Prostatectomy 1997, Gleason 8.  Became vegetarian, walks 2-5 miles every other day.  Feels good.  They initially gave him  5  years.
A few questions come to my mind. and I'm not a doctor, thats for sure!  How old is your husband? What was his gleason score based on the needle biopsy I presume he had? Whats the gleason score of the removed prostate? Do you know the stage given to his problem after the surgery? Where did he have it done? Hows his continance? Dr. T on this forum will ask all or most of these questions I'm pretty sure. Get a copy of the pathology report that was done on his prostate after and during his surgery. Repeat the p.s.a. somewhere, it might be a bad lab...it does happen. We usually have many years to die from something else even if it is the start of a recurrance. Start him on vitamin d, about 6k m/g a day and have him drink 8 oz of pomagranate juice per day. Many say it helps a lot. Im a patient as well and just keep reading and reading..and waiting, but in a brave cheerful way, so far anyway! Good Luck to you and your husband!

h

h