Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
PSA and Bone Mets

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

PSA and Bone Mets

I have had prostate cancer for about 7 years.. 5 years ago I had my prostat removed after about 3 years my PSA went up to about .4 from undetectable. I went to a cancer specialist and they then gave me radiation therapy 38 treatments. For about 18 months my PSA has been undetectable. I just went to the DR. for hip and leg pain.. I was assuming it was arthritis (which i have been told i had once before from an xray in my lower back). The Dr. sent me for an X-RAY and said it was urgent because prostat cancer spreads to the hip first and it could be bone mets. I am waiting results. My question is .. can you have bone mets without a detectable PSA?? When I asked him that he said well it can happen. None of the cancer dr.'s ever told me that. I thougth that is why we monitor my PSA every 6-8 months to make sure it doesnt rise.. because if it does that is what would indicate spread? Any thoughts would be much appreciatated
Yes, it is possible for prostate cancer tumors to metastasize and not produce detectable PSA.  PSA is the most efficient test to monitor recurrence, however, it is not foolproof.  You may need to more imaging studies such as a bone scan, MRI of pelvis, spine, or CT/PET-CT of lungs/abdomen/pelvis to determine if there is indeed metastases of the prostate tumor.