Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
PSA and recent ejaculation

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

PSA and recent ejaculation

I'm 56, and two years ago my PSA was 3.3.  A few days ago I had a physical and PSA was 5.3.  The doctor is giving me antibiotics to first rule out a minor infection.  I had sex about three hours before the blood test, and I was just reading that recent ejaculation can cause a rise in PSA.  Could that be the cause of an increase of 2?
Dear DPM111,

Thanks for posting your query.

Yes, the rise in your prostate specific antigen levels could be because of recent sexual activity. Serum PSA (Prostatic Specific Antigen) can increase in cancer of prostate, prostatitis, recent sexual activity, manipulation during digital rectal examination. But in your case, it could be because of prostatitis or sexual activity.

I would suggest that a urine examination and an ultrasound of KUB (Kidney, Ureters and Urinary Bladder) region and prostate be done for you under the supervision of your treating physician.

If these tests suggest prostatitis, you can take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for about 2 weeks.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Chandan Choudhary