PSA drop from 101 to 19
I have not been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  About 6 weeks ago, I had a prostatitis flare-up after being constipated.  An urgent care doctor ordered a psa test that had a reading over 101.  Other blood tests showed a high white blood cell count which indicated an infection.  She put me on an anti-biotic course for 20 days.  I immediately got an appointment with my primary care doctor who got me into see a urologist the next day.  The urologist said it is certainly possible for PSA reading that high to be caused solely by prostatitis.  He did a DRE and found nothing (my third in about three days).  He told me to stay on the anti-biotics and come back in two weeks and have another PSA test.  I did and was relieved that it dropped 19.  And I was still experiencing some prostatitis symptoms though they had much improved.  He put me on a full four-week course of Cipro at twice the dosage the urgent care doctor perscribed.  That four-week course ends tomorrow.  He wanted another PSA test two weeks later and another appointment.  

My question is, is it reasonable to wait six weeks before another PSA test when I still had a level of 19 (though a drop down from 101 in a little over two weeks)?  I know it is possible to have both prostatitis and prostate cancer.  The urologist said the cancer would be so slow-growing and he doesn't think I have it anyway.  Everything looks like classic prostatitis is what he said.  I'll also say, I had an earlier flare-up 6 years ago and after treatment my PSA was 2.1.  I haven't a PSA test until this latest flare-up.  And with the anti-biotics and flomax, I'll say my functions have not been this good in years.  
Hi and welcome, i think waiting the prescribed time is better. The less infection reflected in your psa score the better. On a side note. cancer severity is often times determined by the Gleason score after the cancer has been confirmed.
The best psa to have is under 1. Your your manually checked? With prostritus, why is the discussion of prostate cancer entering the situation your having.
The only way to confirm cancer or no cancer is a biopsy in a hospital setting where a person is put under so a good speciman can be taken. Its quite uncomfortable.