Prostate Cancer Community
PSA level high?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

PSA level high?

My husband is 40 and has history of prostitis and pc in his family.  He has been checked since he was 30 due to his problems.  He just had his annual PSA and they called wanting a repeat because his level was a 6.  His testosterone was low also(don't know if that has anything to do with the PSA).  Would be glad to hear from anyone about what we should feel about this.  Could it possible be a fluke test?
I made a mistake with my initial question.  His level was 2.6.  Up from 1.2.  

I would read - "The invasion of the prostate snatchers..."  should be in your local library --  The value doubled in a year and he is approaching the gray zone of 4.  Time to get educated on the prostate.
Perhaps another PSA in 6 months to check on change..  Did the DRE reveal any inflammation or lumps?
They are actually re checking friday and his doctor didn't say anything when he did the DRE.  If the PSA comes back the same as the first do they usually just watch or do you think they would biopsy?
From what little I know and based on his family history and his age  a biopsy isn't out of the question...based on this new number you should get an idea of what to do

His readings were 1.2 then 2.6  and now it is ?  what was the time frame between first and second reading?  This will give you some idea of velocity or rate of increase/time period....  
The time frame was a year.  Everything I have read has said to be concerned after it gets to 4.  My question-is it more about the increase than the number or both?

Depends on the school of thought one subscribes to - doubling time is a strong indicator of change as is the actual number, with a gray zone somewhere between 4-10...  I recommend that you read the book I mentioned or look up PSA doubling time or PSA values on the internet.  The more you read the better you will be at asking questions.
thank you