Prostate Cancer Community
PSA rise from 4.3 to 14.9 in 3 moths

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

PSA rise from 4.3 to 14.9 in 3 moths

I am 66 years of age diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer to the some of the bones in 2003. PSA at time of diagnosis was 96. I began treatment with Lupron injections and Casodex. PSA dropped to 0.6 in less than a year. However, after 2 1/2 years the PSA rose to 5.2 and was taken off the Casodex beacause my Urologist said Casodex can have a reverse affect after awhile. The PSA then dropped to 0.2 and remained at that for about 2 years. PSA started to slowly rise again. I have been on Viadur (Lupron Implant) for several years until last year it was taken off the market and went back on 6 month injections of Eligard. I have also been receiving monthly Zometa infusions since 2003 to protect the bones. In December, the PSA spiked from a low 4.3 to 14.9 in just 3 months. PSA was tested again 1 month later and it is now at 16.5. My question is what could cause the PSA to rise ten points in just 3 months? My Oncologist says it could be related to disease progression but I don't have any new symptoms. My Urologist says once my PSA reaches 20, another hormonal treatment would be added. He suggested possibly going back on Casodex. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you, Tom.
Tags: Casodex