Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
PSA test

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

PSA test

My first PSA was 11.7 in Feb. Had a biopsy in March Gleason 3+4=7. My second PSA in June was 10.7. Is it normal for PSA to go down after the biospy? If in another 3 months my PSA is still going down, would that be an indication that my cancer is being fought successfully? I am taking a alternative food suplament that I have been taking from March.
PSA levels tend to fluctuate. Were there any treatment options discussed with your urologist after the biopsy? With your high PSA and gleason score treatment discussions such as prostatectomy (removal of the prostate) and radiation therapy should be a top priority.  It is very unlikely that all of your prostate cancer was removed with biopsy needle since it is very small and only gives a clue about a small portion of the gland.  I recommend seeing your urologist for a PSA check, Digital rectal exam, and possiblly another biopsy at your earliest convience.
I'am scheudaled Sept 26 for removal. I was hoping that the alternative treatment was helping because the PSA was going down. At what point would a PSA mean something? 9.5 or 5.2?
That is a long time to wait until Sept.26th.  My husband had to wait 9 weeks and we thought that was a long time.  He had a gleeson 8, and psa of 5.7.  Seven months on he is doing well after is radical prostectomy.  3 tests have come back as undetectable after intervals of 3 months.  Hope things work out for you.