Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
PSA test
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

PSA test

My first PSA was 11.7 in Feb. Had a biopsy in March Gleason 3+4=7. My second PSA in June was 10.7. Is it normal for PSA to go down after the biospy? If in another 3 months my PSA is still going down, would that be an indication that my cancer is being fought successfully? I am taking a alternative food suplament that I have been taking from March.
Related Discussions
242579_tn?1252114771
PSA levels tend to fluctuate. Were there any treatment options discussed with your urologist after the biopsy? With your high PSA and gleason score treatment discussions such as prostatectomy (removal of the prostate) and radiation therapy should be a top priority.  It is very unlikely that all of your prostate cancer was removed with biopsy needle since it is very small and only gives a clue about a small portion of the gland.  I recommend seeing your urologist for a PSA check, Digital rectal exam, and possiblly another biopsy at your earliest convience.
3 Comments
Blank
I'am scheudaled Sept 26 for removal. I was hoping that the alternative treatment was helping because the PSA was going down. At what point would a PSA mean something? 9.5 or 5.2?
Blank
That is a long time to wait until Sept.26th.  My husband had to wait 9 weeks and we thought that was a long time.  He had a gleeson 8, and psa of 5.7.  Seven months on he is doing well after is radical prostectomy.  3 tests have come back as undetectable after intervals of 3 months.  Hope things work out for you.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
16 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank