Prostate Cancer Community
Pain after prostate surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Pain after prostate surgery

I had my prostate removed robotically 4 weeks ago today. Apparently the surgery went very well but they did keep me in the hospital 3 extra days (5 instead of 2) because my stomach was distended. Every single day since I have been home I have had bouts of severe abdominal and back (in the kidney area) pain. The surgeon does not know what is causing this pain. I went to my family doctor and he tested for pancreatitis and it was negative. He did other tests as well and all was negative. He has prescribed percocet for the pain, which helps somewhat but is not getting rid of the problem. Any suggestions out there?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi. Have your doctors done a bone scan and checked for bone metastases?  It's just possible that the pain you're experiencing may be compressive pain from bony metastases.  It might also help if you can consult with a pain specialist to investigate it.  The possibility that the pain might be cancer-related should be ruled out.
My robotic surgery was October 19. I just had my 6 week checkup and despite a perfect pathology report, I will going back Jan 4 because my PSA hasn't dropped.  If it still hasn't dropped in one month, I will be looking at a PETscan to rule out cancer spreading.  You and your urologist/surgeon may consider the same test.

I had severe gas pains due to stool softeners.  I regularly took simethicone capsules to help with the pains.  Recently I have been able to stop taking these.  Are you voiding OK?  I am guessing your GP has ruled out bladder and kidney infection.  It could be something as "simple" as that.  Your next visit to your surgeon/urologist should give you some answers. Your first PSA check will help direct you regarding further tests.  Remember every man heals differently.  Two more weeks is not too long--though it may seem like an eternity now.
Had my prostate removed using the DaVinci method on January 7th.  Doctor said the operation went well.  However, during the night stay at the hospital I developed severe pains in the area of my right kidney area and the pain worsened early morning where I couldn't move.  I was given morphine and valium to relieve the pain and was discharged with a prescription for pain control.  I only have one kidney (left).  I was so lethargic after the operation I did not walk the day of the operation.  Only with pain meds am I able to walk and have no pain in my abdomen.  I am now concerned as you have had this same pain for 4 weeks.  Would you please post updates as to your current conditions and remedies you took.  I had an awful experience after my biopsy where I became septic and was in the critical care unit for 6 days, and it was hours after my biopsy when I felt ill but the doctor told me it was impossible to have an infection that quick -- well, he was so wrong.  Please, please update your condition and it is hard to believe that this pain has only happened to just the two of us.  I await your postings.
Correction:  My only kidney is on my right side where the pain is located.
Sorry for not posting earlier as I have not checked the site lately. The pains have finally stopped but it took about 6 weeks. My GP (I think he was guessing) thought it may have been caused by gas trapped inside. The surgeon did not know the cause.
Good Luck
Hello again.  Has your pain subsided any?  I am assuming that by now the catheter has been removed for almost a week.  Did that help?  The bladder healing and the tenderness of the whole area yields considerable discomfort and pain for a little while.  I just kept reporting to my doctor--through phone calls to the nurse--what was happening with me just so there would be a record of "incidents" in my file.  Hope you are doing better with your recovery.  All the best.
Sorry--i confused your operation date with that of Commodore's date.  Of course your catheter has been out for quite some time.  After looking at your original message, I remembered that our surgeries were within a couple of weeks of each other.  How was your first PSA check?  You have had it by now, I assume.  Were you "0?"  You haven't written much about the pain, so I am hoping that this means it has gone away.  All the best as you continue to recover.

I am not scheduled for my first psa test until Mar 3. That seems a long time to me. I am seeing another urologist on Feb 17 ( a partner of the surgeon) to discuss sexual functions. I don't know if this is the normal procedure or not. Yes, the pains have thankfully stopped. Thanks and all the best to you.
It seems like a long time to me as well.  I thought it was normal to have your first PSA done between 6 and 8 weeks after surgery.  Perhaps in February, you can ask the other urologist.  He may go ahead and have your blood drawn.  I am learning that doctors, hospitals, surgeons, etc. perform similar procedures differently.  There must be several ways for my upcoming tests to be performed--all with the same results.  I hope.  Good luck with getting some meds and your journey to recovery.  Keep in touch.  Peace
My husband had the robotic prostate surgery and after the first day had severe lower back pain.  The chiropractor fixed it!  L4 in the lower back has the nerves that go to the prostate running right by it.  For many reasons after prostate surgery, the back muscles can freeze up from stress, the position of the body during surgery, the laying in bed and swelling  pushes L4, pushing against the nerves, resulting in severe pain.  The chiropractor helped it heal better and much much quicker.
I still have considerable discomfort in the groin area when sitting for extended periods. It has been 8 weeks since robotic surgery. Has anyone experienced this and if so was there anything that helped?

RJM
when I had robotic surgery last March I had really terrible pain and a huge bloated gut ...most of this was gas that was trapped ...was in the hospital 4 nights instead of 2 , the head nurse told me that this is common after surgery , she said you would not believe how your insides get 'handled' during the procedure .
there is a bump above and to the side of the main incision which is above the navel that sometimes is a bit painful when I do lifting etc , I have not been able to see the surgeon yet to ask about it , it may be a hernia ....does anyone else have any experience like this ?
I wonder if you can help, my father 64 had his prostate removed last year by key hole surgery as it was cancerous.  The surgery we were told was a success, but a few days after surgery, my father's developed severe 'pins & needles' in his right foot.  The pins & needles caused my dad excruciating pain and the only method of pain relief was to put a cold flannel on it or put my dad's foot in a bowl of cool water.  It took a few weeks for this pain to go, but in place of the pain, my father developed 'drop foot' in the same right foot.  Six months later the drop foot is not so apparent now, but instead of that now my dad has been suffering from excruciating pain in his groin.  He has seen his consultant who has done a full bone scan, nerve damage test which all came back negative.  One test that came back raised was my dad's PSA level!  My father is now on hormone therapy to get the PSA level down.  He is still suffering every day with severe pain in his groin.  It is very disturbing to see my dad in so much pain especially as he is a very active man.

Can anyone shed any light on groin pain after prostate cancer surgery?

CC
Yeh, my father is currentlt still in hospital 3 plus weeks after his key hole surgery to remove his large prostrate, was fine after operation had catheder removed but 3 or so days later developed extrem pain in his groin area, he is now in hospital with two morphine patches, a depository and pethadine injections to numb the pain, but still he can not move his legs one millimeter as the groin pain is too great.  The doctors have done a scan and found he has a small leak and are waiting bout a week for it to take up by itself then are going to scan and 'pressure test it' again, but i am wondering if they are looking at other causes like peritonitis etc.  Has anyone had similiar pains and found out what it is?
Hell-o  I am a 54 yr old otherwise health man just diagnosed with prostate cancer.  Does anyone out there have experience or information on HIFU? High Intenstiy Foucused Ultrasound treatment?
My father in law had robotic surgery on nov, 29,10 , He's been having disfomfort in groin and alot of pressure in sack area ,still has alot of leakage and uncontrolable urination problems ,When does it stop?
for those who have had daVinci method prostate urgery.  I am scheduled for 2/21/11.  Two items would intesest me from those who have had it?  Urination is the most important and sexual  recovery??
Had da vinci surgery 9/21/2010.with your two concerns about sexual function and continence I was lucky I got it easy for me. Sometimes there is some mild leaking but not bad.  Sexual function is okey. My surgeon prescribed me of 20 mg cialis after removal of my catheter. PSA test 1/7/11 was .01. By the way I'm 51 years old. Only problem was some bleeding after catheter removal. My surgeon did systoscopy in my bladder but find nothing abnormal in my bladder. The CT scan was also normal. The third week the bleeding was gone. Trust your surgeon you'll be okey. The only thing that bother me most was the ten days that I have the catheter.

I am 53, had davinci prostectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago, everything went exceedingly well with that.  No (serious) problems with incontenance and working on the sexual function which looks like it will be fine.  

A week ago, I suddenly developed SEVERE groin pain, Drs. don't know what it is yet.  Had ultrasound, yesterday a CT scan (results not back yet.)  Pain was so bad, I had to go to ER a day after starting back to work.  My symptoms appear if I walk around and do very minor things for about 5 minutes.  I can feel the pain coming on and run to the sofa to lie down and put a heating pad on it.   I don't have an infection, WBC normal.  No kidney stone.  

I can't go to work or do more than very simple activities.  Can I expect this pain to go away?  Has anyone had this and can I expect it to go away?  If you had this an it went away, what did you do to resolve it and how long did it take for you to recover?
My husdand had his prostate removed feb 3 2012  the surgery went well the pain in his adominal (abdominal) never stop he was eating pain pills like jellybeans back and forth to hostipal for the next two week finally  test showed that his left kindey was blocked at the connection site so feb 24 2012 he went back into surgery.  Now he is doing better however he still has pain in the rectal area and blood in his urine
I had a prostrate biopsy done last February. Within 2 days I had severe abdominal pain and rectal pain. Turned out the rectal pain was a annal fissure which I am still dealing with.
The abdominal pain has never gone away. I have had several CT scans which have shown nothing wrong. I have been to 2 gastrologist almost on a monthly basis and they can find nothing.

I had robotic surgery December 10, 2012 and nothing has changed with my abdominal pain. I am in bed about 75% of the time.Pain pills help a little but the lowest pain level I get is 4.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
I am looking for answers so reading all through this. My husband has had pain like this since his surgery 3 months ago. It has recently subsided some.
But his feet and ankles have been swollen since three wks after surgery when he got a bladder infection,and nothing helps.  We have seen a couple of dr.s for the lower back thing,but they can't find anything. He
even went to the emergency room b/c of the pain at the beginning of this.
Diagnosed with the bladder infection,checked for leg clots,etc.....
He was
unable to walk for several wks because of this and the pain like you are
having. Had to resort to a cane. Until the surgery(radical prostatectomy)he has had very few health issues,always good health. We are at a loss,it seems ridiculous that we can't find much on after surgery complications like this at all,and that he feels he may have to live with it the rest of his
life. Does anyone else know about the ankle and foot swelling? Is it related to damage to the bladder possibly?  We just don't know where to go for
answers,but we are sure it has something to do with the surgery in some way,even indirectly.
For me, the pain took a good month or so to go away.  I had a CT scan and there was fluid build up near the nerve that run down through the groin to the leg.  They were going to do a procedure to remove some of the fluid, but the pain started subsiding so I cancelled it.  A CT scan a bit later showed that the fluid had abated (along with the pain.)  

I'm not sure if this helps, but you didn't mention a CT scan was done, so that would be something to ask about.  
My husband had Robotic Prostate Surgery in April 2012.  After the surgery he continues to have pain in the pelvic, groin, back, and also under his testicles.  He takes Aleve or Tylenol to see if he can find relief, but these do not work. He told his doctors, and they do not care or just don't want to help him.  There has to be something wrong with him.  Where is this all this pain coming from?  He was not like that before his surgery.  Can someone give us advice or suggestions.  His PSA comes out normal.  Could all this pain be surgery related? Please help.  Thanks