Prostate Cancer Community
Pain after seed implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Pain after seed implants

My husband had seed implants on 10-20-08 and has been in constant pain since that time.  His oncologist had him come in 1 month after implant procedure for catscan to see if a seed was on or near a nerve.  Initially, the doctor said everything looked fine, but after another week or so of constant pain, he decided that a seed must be on a nerve and prescribed oxycodone and neurontin.  My husband has been on the pain pills and the pain has not gone away.  The pain seems to be in the prostate area and really hurts in that area when he urinates.  It has been so bad that he cannot sit down to even eat.
He spends most of his time on the couch on his side.  The doctor told him that the seeds could not be removed and he is so tired of the pain and tired of taking pain meds and is to the point that he is talking about having the prostate gland removed surgically.
The doctor said that he has never seen this problem before.  Has anyone had an experience like this?
Pain after seed implants
by jjyork

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

jjyork
Female
Member since Jan 2009  

, Jan 05, 2009 04:39PM
Tags: unexplained pain behimplants

My dad is going through the same thing right now.  He had his seeds implanted in July, 2009 and he is currently in the hospital trying to deal with the intense pain.  Help!!!!!!
As I recall one of the drawbacks of seed implants is  that you can't have surgery after the seeds go in. That was the way it was 15 years ago when my dad opted for the seeds, I hope the pain goes away, or perhaps with the robotical/ laporscopic methods around today they can go in and do a "salvage" prostatectomy. Best of luck.