Prostate Cancer Community
Prosatitis /PSA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Prosatitis /PSA

I am a 62 year old male. I had a bout of prostatitis with Urine retention in 2009. In Aug 2011 durng a routine checkup my PSA was 3.7. In January 2012 the PSA jumped to 5.4. In June 2012 I had another attack of Prosatitis. PSA in July 2012 was 14.2, test was repeated in September 2012 and is now 15.6. My Urologist recommends waiting 4-6 weeks and doing another PSA test, if it is still high then do additional testing.

My question: is this a standard method of treatment?  Is it reasonable to wait another 6 weeks for a PSA or should something be done now. You hear all these stories about catching this kind of stuff early so I was wondering what to do.

Thanks in advance.  
I had prostate cancer in 2005 and it was detected when my psa went from 2.50 to 4.50.  I was given a biopsy.  In my opinion, you should have had a biopsy already.  I was treated with Proton Radiation at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda California.  From talking to the various patients while there being treated, it became very clear to me that the main sign is an increase in the PSA.  I met men whose PSA had increased from 2.00 to 3.00 and they had biopsies and found out that they had cancer.  Personally I would go to another urologist and get  biopsy as soon as possible.  I was 63 when i found out I had Prostate cancer.  Im now almost 71 and my psa is .01.  If  you ever do find out you have prostate cancer, I would highly recommend Proton Radiation... Not regular Radiation but Proton Radiation.  Pronton has a 90% cure rate and little  to no side effects. I was never sick a day and have 0 side effects as a result of the cancer or the Proton treatments. hope this helps Claytex
Thanks Claytex.  your information is greatly appreciated.  I had a biopsy done 3 years ago after the first episode of prosatitis.  It came back clean. Maybe that's why the Urologist is taking another psa test and a wait and see attitude.