Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Prostate Cancer
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prostate Cancer

I had removel (removal) of my prostate 9 years ago.  After 4 1/2 years I started to have a rising PSA again.  I had 52 treatments of radiation.  (bad stuff). My PSA started to rise again.  Dr. put me on Lupron and Casedex.  PSA continues to rise.  Took me off of casedex.  I am still getting Lupron shots.  PSA is now 16.7.  What happens next?  Does it go to my bones?  What systems am I looking for?  Will Chemo be in the picture soon? When?  What kind of chemo?  everyday?  once a month?   Please try and answer some of my questions.  
Related Discussions
242579_tn?1252114771
Thank you for your question. As a preface to my answer, this response will be somewhat general given that I do not know the details of your situation.

There are several options. As stated on this forum before, metastatic prostate cancer is a fairly nuanced and individualized thing changing from patient to patient and doctor to doctor. Antiandrogens such as Casodex are taken in conjunction with LHRH analog (Lupron) in combined androgen blockade (CAB) therapy. In your case, a different LHRH analog could be used such as Zoladex. In general, several options remain to elicit a PSA response. This includes single or combination therapy and second-line hormonal therapy. Chemotherapeutic agents (taxanes and bisphosphonate, etc.) could be used as a third-line treatment.

The most common sites of metastasis from solid tumors are the lungs, bones, liver, and brain. Prostate cancer tends to spread to the bone.

Treatment options and possible enrollment to a clinical trail should be discussed with your oncologists. A list of ongoing cancer trails in your area can be found here:

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials

Sincerely,

Ash Tewari, MD

http://www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
10 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank