Prostate Cancer Community
Prostate cancer progression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Prostate cancer progression

My father is patient of prostate cancer for the last seven years. He had his surgery in 2001 and ever since he has been on biculatamide. He did not experience any bone pain until recently accompanied by cold and fever. The bony pain subsided upon taking pain medicine (telfast), but the cold is lingering along with cough and slight temperature. It is also time for him to do his bonescan. He has been in stage 4 for several years. I just want to know what are the typical symptoms of  bone metastasis progression and what else could be done to slow it down. I realize he already is on palliative treatment.

The most common symptom is pain. It seems that at present that is controlled.

Try to find out which specific bones are involved as progression would also be related to symptoms that emerge as a consequence of specific areas.

Prostate cancer has a predilection for the spine. Progression may result in weakness of the legs or numbness below the level involved.

For some there would not be anything specific. Progressive weight loss may occur due to advancing cancer, or generalized weakness, anemia.  
My husband has prostate cancer.  He elected 2 years ago not to undergo surgery and is not taking any medications.  He has gained alot of weight since his diagnosis.  Does this weight gain have anything to do with the progression of the cancer?