Prostate Cancer Community
Prostatitis and Leg Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Prostatitis and Leg Pain

Let me just say first that I've already scheduled a doctor's appointment, I am just curious to hear what the forums have to say about this.

I was diagnosed with a prostate infection about 4 years ago or so....I'm a 25 y/o male, btw.  The primary symptom was extreme discomfort in the actual prostate, and a constant desire to urinate to alleviate the pain. I was given antibiotics and the symptoms disappeared fairly rapidly.

Now I am experiencing symptoms that are similar, but slightly different.  The tension in my prostate is noticeable, but not as persistent as the first occurrence (assuming that this is also a prostate infection).  The pain is still strong, but it seems that if I focus on relaxing the prostate, that I can control the pain.  I was curious about this, and found that some doctors consider stress and tension to be a possible cause of prostatitis, as opposed to bacterial infections (particularly tension that is involuntarily focused on, and carried by, the prostate).  

The main difference, though, is that this time I have persistent leg, ankle, and foot pain, which is almost incapacitating when I exercise.  I assume that it is related, because I've read about leg pain being a common symptom of prostatitis.  The pain is present, but mild throughout the day.  When I run, however, I have to quit much sooner now because of the pain.

My questions:
1.) Is it common to have different symptoms between separate prostatitis flare-ups?
2.) Has anyone encountered/heard of tension as a cause of prostatitis?
3.) Is leg pain associated with prostatitis known to worsen with physical activity?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi and welcome. I have heard that stress can cause prostatitis but i also dont believe your leg an ankle pain are related.I think youve got a sprain.  Stress causes your spkinter muscle to tension up and puts pressure on the prostate.
I guess I should have been more clear.  The pain is in BOTH legs, ankles and feet.  It comes and goes, but is especially strong when I am exercising.  I also notice that I tend to carry a lot of tension in my prostate while I exercise.  They are almost certainly related, and I've read about similar symptoms in other cases of prostatitis.
Try taking 200 mg of magnesium and slowly increase to 1,000 or 1,200 mg; if you get diarerah you increased too fast; take as much magnesium as possible -gradually increasing without getting diarreah (diarrhea); see if any of the pain subsides in relation to the magnesium; i wouldn't be afraid of sulfa (antibiotic) as well since it worked before
that magnesium should be taken daily, forever; it helps many things and you are very young so the sooner you start to take care of yourself the better; it's good for your heart as well
So what does the magnesium actually do? Is that for prostate health?

I actually took sulfa antibiotics the last time I had a prostate infection and discovered that I am allergic to them :(  Not a pleasant experience...itchiness, swollen lips and tongue...the works.
Magnesium relaxes arteries; thus if your legs were cramping in any way you would know if the magnesium helped.  It's just a thought since you said it happened while exercising and can't hurt you unless you take too much you will get diarreah (diarrhea) and deplete electrolytes.  Magnesium is heart health but all artery health so it is very good for you. Just an easy inexpensive thing to try since you are so young--you could start now.
Hope you have been to the doctor by now and get some antibiotics you are not allergic to.  It's good to do your own research or get a second opinion if he suggests something that sounds extreme to you.