Prostate Cancer Community
Protatitis or Prostate Cancer ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Protatitis or Prostate Cancer ?

I have recently been to a doctor with the following symptoms

Passing water several times at night,Tenderness in pubic area and around the area between the testicles and anus.

In addition I have had a tenderness / bruising feeling in my backside just above the anus and spreading both sideways and up my lower back.

I am having difficulty walking with stiffness in my hips and lower back.

In addition to this I get intermittent pain in testicles aand in the penis.

My Doctor did a PSA which came out at 0.3 and a DRE which he said showd an enlarged prostate.

I have been on Dioxyline and Finestride for 2 months and no improvement.

I recently have noticed an enlarged Lymph node in my groin and am now concerned that I have prostate cancer.

I am 51 yo and there is a history of prostate enlargement in the family.

My Doctor has given me a 3 month course of the above tablets and indicated to go back after this

Could you please advise as to whether enlarged lymph nodes are a symptom of prostatitis or have I got prostete cancer
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Likely possibilities include genitor-urinary infection, spinal/ GI issues, growths/ masses etc. With a PSA of 0.3, the chance of this being cancer are minimal and the symptoms are more likely to be due to a benign hypertrophy/ BPH. Also enlarged lymphnode could occur in both while with your evaluation this is more likely due to an infection/ inflammation.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks for the comment

Following the results of a CT scan which confirmed no stones and a flow rate test that showed a very poor flow rate my urologist is now proposing a Bladder neck incision to improve my flow. This he believes is causing the issue and supports an earlier ultrasound scan which showed me retaining 200ml of urine post passing water. The CT also showed a very full bladder despite the fact that I had just perfomed the flow rate test.

I am a little puzzled as to why urinary retention would cause pain in my lower back, perinium and around the anus although I can understand it causing the pain I am getting in the pubic area.

I am unsure whether to proceed with the operation at this time as it seems he may have mis diagnosed.

Your views would be most helpful

Steve