Prostate Cancer Community
SURVEILLANCE & ACUPUNCTURE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

SURVEILLANCE & ACUPUNCTURE

I am a male 70 years of age. I hae an elevated PSA (5.4).  My doctor did a DRE. He does not think this is cancerous. However I have chosen to try a number of different techniques to try to lower my PSA number and also to prevent cancer.  One of the things I am trying is acupuncture.
My questions are .  Has anybody tried this ?  If so what were the results ?

There is some experience with the use of acupuncture as part of management for pain and for the hot flushes associated with certain medications. I am unaware of any specific research for acupuncture as a preventive measure for prostate cancer.
Bear in mind that the rise of the PSA is also an age related phenomenon. Controlling the PSA does not necessarily prevent the cancer. There is research on prevention in which medications that did lower the PSA seemed to lower the incidence of prostate cancer. The problem was, the treatment also seemed to favor developing more aggressive cancer. Whether such results are connected or are merely chance events is still controversial. Hence, be wary of certain herbal supplements that actually perform such a function, as some of them do contain steroids similar to old medications previously used rather often to treat advanced prostate cancer.