Prostate Cancer Community
Self Catheter/Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Self Catheter/Pain

I have a almost similar problem as paulh123.  My operation was done on Feb. 10  (radical prostatectomy).  After 2 weeks the catheter was removed.  Nothing happened and since they put more fluid in my bladder and nothing was being discharged I started having sever pain.  They put in another catheter and asked me to gp back after a week (Feb. 27).  After removal of the catheter still had a slow flow.  They measured and told me it looks fine.  They told me that I am a special case where as I have to learn to let go don't try to stop the flow.  Unfortunately this is not happening.

On the way home I started having sever pains and no flow, called the doctor and he asked me to go back to the clinic.  The showed me how to do self catheter.  To me is a painful process.  I never had any blood in my urin, but when I do the self catheter, there is blood.  In addition I have sever shooting pain in my rectum which I never had.  The pain sort of goes away after self catheter.  I should mention that I did not have any problems urinating before the operation.

I am able to release urine (clear/no blood) with burning sensation and not enough to empty the bladder.  When I got home I had to do the self catheter 2 times (7 PM yeatereday and 2 AM today) to get rid of he pain, but I still have some shooting pain in my rectom!

The doctor can not tell me how long I have to do this process.  I like to mention that where the horisantal insision has been done there is a bulg like a golf ball.  The doctor told me this is from blood cloth and it should go away in several months!!! I am not too confortable with this either.
Could you please help?
I also had the same surgery(with robotic asst.) i also had bumps at the sites of my incisions. I also have rectum pain, and pain at the tip of my penis. I am now 61/2 weeks post-op, and these pains are subsideing as i write. I had my catheter removed after 2wks post-op, and had a little pain/blood which was bright red then pink to no blood at all this happen around 51/2 weeks post-op. Remember we all heal at different times so just keep your eyes on every thing. Limit your movements/lifting of weight let someone else do it. Your rectum will get better in time, but remember to take stool softners that will take a lot of pressure off of your rectum at restroom time just be patient. Keep me up-dated, and thank GOD this cancer can be beat.
I'm 41 and just had the robobic surgery, PSA 7.5 then 14 a year later.  The stomach pain is subsiding after this first week, but the catheter pain is brutal (whoever said worse for women than men is the oposite of most Dr.'s and men's opinions, but who knows).

The KY lube will help a lot if it gets dry and sticks.  

There's a med called Oxybutynin that can help with the "urge to pee" pain.  I can't wait to get this giant tube out of my penis.  I don't care who you are, this is real pain.  Some leakage is normal, especially if you go #2 and have to push.  

Hang in there and Kegel all day after you get the tube out (and before if you are going to have prostate cancer surgery.

Take laxitives with your pain meds.

Happy Happy Joy Joy. You'll get through it.