Prostate Cancer Community
Slow psa rise 11yrs after RP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Slow psa rise 11yrs after RP

60 years old had RP 11 years ago. Psa went to 0 then slowly every 6 months up and down .01 to .02. Dec. 2012 was at .3 doubling time is 3-4 years. Been to  Rad. Oncologist and Med. oncologist both saying time for Radiation but say only 50% chance it will work. Still not sure about going this route but don't know if I want to gamble on waiting. Is there any other option or at this slow rise is it best to wait and watch? Gleason was 7 with negative margins. Heard so much about side affects of radiation so very hesitant. Most doctors say .2 is the cut off and have also heard to wait even longer.
Hi and welcome. I did not have mine removed but had 45 robotic radiations on my prostate. What kind of radiation are the talking about? There are no spikes in your psa so thats good and would be the main reason to be concerned. If it went from.02 to 5 that would be a concern but yours is very low and i would not be worried that  your going to die from this. Also your gleason score does not show an aggressive cancer and does fall into the watch and wait catagory. Ive met people with a psa of 650!!
Thanks for the quick reply. They are talking about the 39 salvage radiation treatments to the pelvic area. Have seen 3 different oncologist over the past 6-7 years and 3 urologist, 2 retired, and this is the only treatment they recommend, all say little side affects if any, but I have done some research, and not all side affect free. Last visit was at Dana Farber in Boston to a well known Med oncologist, she said I could wait but would be on hormone therapy probably in a few years. The more I research the more confusing, that's why the forums help because you hear from others who have gone thru the similar cituations.