Prostate Cancer Community
Stage D2 Life Expectancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Stage D2 Life Expectancy

My husband has  been battling prostate cancer for 12 years.  First the surgery, 5 years later radiation treatment, a few years later hormone therapy,  recently Lupron  which didn't work, and he has been diagnosed with Stage D2 prostate cancer  - it has spread to his bone.  Yesterday, an x-ray confirmed cancer in both of his legs and  ankles.   He  has  complained of pain in his shoulders  and  around the elbows, and I'm wondering if it is there, as  well.  His doctor wasn't aware of this pain when he ordered  the x-ray for his legs. Since this most  recent reoccurance and the discovery that it has spread to his bone, his pain seems to be rapidly spreading, although the tumor itself is small and at  the top of his back left hip.  I'm wondering if it  is much worse than we  imagine and if his life expectancy is shorter than we  expect, as well.  Once the cancer  starts  traveling throughout the body, does that mean it  is out of control  and  there is not much we can do?  Or  could he realistically have 2 to 5 years or more of  life?
Hi there!

Well, the average survival time for metastasized cancer is 1-3 years, while some patient may tend to live longer. I would suggest discussing the expected prognosis in detail with your treating oncologist.

Take care!