My first post here and apologizes as I expect something related must have been discussed several times already.
My PSA has recently risen to 3.41 ng/mL (from 2.2) in about 8 months. Free-PSA is 0.72 and the ratio free-PSA/PSA is 0.21.
PSA velocity (PSAV) over 3 years, when including the spike, is 0.72 ng/mL/y. PSA baseline (done 8 years ago) was 1.28 and, prior to the last point, PSAV was 0.26 ng/mL/y.
Over one year, I noticed a simultaneous strong rise in IGF-1 (went slightly off the ref. range), DHT as well as free-T (total-T decreased). IGF-1 and DHT together with PSA worry me the most.
I am very concerned. I am due to visit my urologist soon but wonder if you can provide any advise.
I am followed regularly for symptoms of BPH (mild, no nocturia) mainly due to high post void residual (PVR, has been ranging 250 to 600 mL (!) recently). Obstruction is a possibility also hinted, afaik, by a large urea/creatinine ratio in the urine. I am taking tamsulosin 0.4 mg/d and testing with my doctor 0.8 mg/d to check PVR. I have had regularly and also recently DREs which were all normal.
I am 56, otherwise healthy, moderately active, fit and eating a well balanced diet with relatively high protein intake (Zone). I am also supplementing since several years with the usual set of herbal remedies for an healthy prostate (saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pigeum, ….), antioxidants and found benefits in my IPSS score. I have a full record of blood and urine works since about 10 years and regularly consulting, hence my surprise.
Beside mild BPH, I think I have no particular risk of PC (race, family history …) but a genetic test (23andme) shows a 1.5x increased risk vs average.
Prior to last test I supplemented for 4 months with 25 mg/d of DHEA (due to constant deficiency), I3C and Crysin (considered as mild aromatase inhibitors) which is the only explication I can give to the hormonal changes and maybe the PSA increase, barring other potentially changing factors as prostatitis, ejaculation <48 hrs and DRE prior to test, cycling and of course a sudden aggravation, despite non symptomatic, of BPH.
I wonder if DHEA and others supplements triggered something bad!
Well, all values (PSA, free PSA and IGF-1) seem to be in the intermediary range and it would be difficult to give a precise comment on these values alone; though with this mild a change in the values, I would not suspect a cancer. At this stage there could be two ways of approaching the problem, either we can follow these values over time, with treatment of possible infections/ inflammations or go ahead with a biopsy. I would suggest consulting a urologist for a detailed discussion and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply. Sure it helps and confirm my thoughts. I have a scheduled visit with my urologist next week to check for PVR (600ml was really too high) and the effect of tamsulosin. I would like to ask to check for a small infection (a urine culture first and, if prescribed, a cycle of antibiotics). I noticed a small increase of WCB count and hs-CRP signaling some inflammation. IGF-1 can also be due to a high protein intake which I need to look at. DHT is still in the ref range but has a 172% increase compared to one year ago. I will try to see what my doctor also thinks about finasteride. Maybe to consider prior to biopsy, I also learned about the Prostate Health Index (phi) and the PCA3 gene test. Not sure what he will think about a biopsy: I read it should be done, even with DRE normal, when PSA >= 4. Thank you again for your comments.
I forgot to add that a high IGF-1 from high protein intake (both animal and soy, the latter considered as protective to some extend) can increase PC risk. There is a published study on this I can post if allowed.
- new PSA and freePSA in two months (I will include few hormones as well). He is skeptic on PSA and against biopsy at this stage.
- if PSA increase reproduces, test for inflammation (a process including prostate massage). He is skeptic on infection and cautious on Cipro course (might be counterproductive prior to biopsy)
- DRE was again normal.
- PVR happily reduced -33%, still high (about 450mL) but back to values I had 1-2 years ago. Continue tamsulosin 0.8mg, well tolerated.
- Biopsy decision after these tests
I hope I am doing well ! All this looks to me reasonable even if I am concerned I did not "wanted" the biopsy and followed recommendations. Of course critics/comments are welcome!
PSA (2.3) back to *normal* values, i.e. previous to the spike. DTH and IGF-1 lowered and hrCRP dramatically lowered likely due to my aggressive anti-inflammatory diet. DHEA stopped and slightly lowered protein intake. Happy I did not go immediately to the biopsy.
Unfortunately post void (PVR) is very high to abut 500mL despite 0.8 mg/d of the alpha-blocker tamsulosin but good on flow. I am scared to death to be heading to a TURP for side effects but on the other side very concerned PVR is damaging my bladder due to BPH. Should an 5-alpha reductase be tried with tamsulosin prior to try the surgery? Experience please !! I keep supplementing with saw palmetto, betasitosterol, stinging nettle, pigeum, lycopene, etc ...
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.