Prostate Cancer Community
Ttreatment choice with urinary retention history

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  They think they found it early.  It was discovered in a biopsy. (One probe of 12.  9%.  Gleason of 6 (3+3).  The biopsy was due to a high PSA of around .5.  I don't recall the exact figure.  .

I am looking at radical prostatectomy or radiation/prostercision.  I just hate the "flip a coin" type advice I have received.  Though I realize that it  may be the most realistic description of the situation with the choices.  

I have had two instances of urinary retention in past four years requiring hospital ER visit.  Not pleasant.  Though the last one lead to the discovery of the cancer, so it was a blessing in disguise.  (The MD's said that it was a totally separate issue and not related to the cancer.)  Should this tend to make the treatment choice more obvious as I understand one of the side effects of radiation is a possibility of retention?  I will be asking this same question of the radiation specialist with whom I meet this coming week.

First urologist who found the cancer said watchful waiting was off the table.  Robotic SurgeyDoc said it was still a player.
I am a young 60, fit and active.  Father and Grandfather lived to 92/95 in good health till very near the end.

Anyone have any input on this?

.

Dear Steve: I had prostate cancer in 2005 and after checking out all of the various treatments available, I chose proton radiation.  I chose it because it has little to no side effects and a 90% cure rate.  I have-0- side effects as a result of the cancer or the Proton treatments...My PSA is now .03.  It is like I never had Cancer or treatments.. All of the other treatments have side effects.. proton deilvers 90% of the treatment energy to the exact tumor being treated therefore surrounding tissue and organs are not damaged as with the other options and with conventional radiation.  It sounds to me like Proton would be your best bet...the sad thing is most doctors wont recommend it because they are not trained or equiped to do it.. they treat you the way they know how which may or may not be the best for you.. I know people who have had the seed implants, regular radiation, radical and robotic surgery and all of them had some kind of problem as a result of the treatments... I know several people who had Proton Radiation at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda California( where I was treated) and they had and have no problems as a result of the proton radiation treatments.. if you would like more information on proton radiation, let me know.. or if you would like to visit with some people in your area who have had proton, we have a group of fomer proton patients and I will be glad to furnish you with some names... In my mind, I would not consider any other kind of treatment due to proton having a 90% cure rate and little to no side effects.. if a person can have proton, why put deal with the side effects of the other treatments...??? At least thats my opinion after having Proton Radiation treatments.. I hope this is helpful.. Claytex