Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Waiting period for surgery after diagnosis

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

I was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.  The surgeon told me that I needed to wait approx. 5 weeks after my biopsy to have the surgery done.  I have been told that the open surgery not the robotic would be the best so that they can get a good look around and test the lympnodes.  My question, is the 5 week wait period really beneficial?  I would like to have this done as soon as possible as to eliminate the problem and not have it spread.  
Thank you for your question. With respect to the wait time between biopsy and treatment, a period of 4-6 weeks is advised to prior to surgical treatment. This is to reduce any possible complications related to the biopsy such as bleeding and infection.

What is your age, psa, and biopsy results?

Kindest regards,

Ash Tewari, MD

I posted a few guestions,how do I get any answers from you?
I just had a prostate biopsy three days ago.My doctors office called today to schedule an appt to go over pathology report.If there is something serious,is that not an unreasonable amt of time to wait.Going nuts! Harold