Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
What is non-specific inflammation?

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

What is non-specific inflammation?

I am 49 and healthy. A routine physical yielded a PSA of 6.0. I waited a few weeks, refrained from sex a few days, retested and the result was 4.5. The Urologist ordered a biopsy. I got pretty freaked out waiting for it and then waiting for the results.

The Urologist said it was negative for cancer, and instead it showed "acute and chronic inflammation."

I asked if this result was the same as prostatitis. He said no, there was no sign of infection from the digital rectal exam, the urine test or the ultrasound. He said my prostate was small and benign looking and felt unremarkable when he checked it. He said that they refer to cases like mine as "non-specific" inflammation. I asked if this was the same "inflammation" that is discussed so much in articles and books on health and disease. He was puzzled by this question. I told him I‘d seen it on NOVA and saw books on “anti-inflammation diets”. He told me he was not an expert on it and since he was in a bit of a hurry I let it go. Do you know if my "acute and chronic inflammation" is the same inflammation that is talked about so much these days?

I am also wondering if years of masturbating 2 to 4 times a day (sometimes resulting in weak orgasm and ejaculation) can contribute to the inflamation (inflammation)?  I have also drunk excess coffee and peed a lot for many years. Can such overuse aggravate my prostate and cause the elevated PSA?
Thank you for your question. With respect to your first inquiry, I cannot speak knowledgeably to this reference.

Daily ejaculation is most likely not a cause for prostate inflammation. However, ejaculation prior to a blood draw for PSA evaluation can cause a false positive result.

Sincerely,

AKT